Thursday, September 17, 2015

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.


**1/2 out of ****

Somehow, I always seem to forget that Guy Ritchie films have value. He continues to be a style-over-substance director, but quite often, his style is very winning. I recall going to see his version of Sherlock Holmes dreading the very idea of it being turned into an action film. Somehow, he managed to pull it off -if not perfectly. The story was just good enough and the actors seemed to be energized by the power of their screen presence in those costumes. Such is the case with his cinematic take on the classic 60s spy TV series, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. -a show I've never seen. I suppose if I've seen enough James Bond movies, I've fulfilled a decent prerequisite.

Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer are both great looking guys possessing charm while Alicia Vikander and Elizabeth Debicki are a collective tease. I don't have much more to say. Their character's don't require much description aside from superficial observations.

This is a sharp-looking tongue-in-cheek movie with plenty of special effects but doesn't spare us some authentic exotic locations -all wonderfully lit. It's worth watching when killing time after dinner on a holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment