Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Crimson Peak


** out of ****


Crimson Peak was on my radar after the first glance of its beautiful poster. The trailer that followed assured me that Guillermo del Toro (Pan’s Labyrinth) had a Halloween treat filled with Hammer-horror inspired sweetness for moviegoers this October. Now that I’ve seen the movie, I feel like I trick-or-treated at a house with great decorations but no candy. Trick’s on me, I guess.

The movie is, as promised, gorgeous looking. The great cast, which includes Mia Wasikowska, Tom Hiddleston and Jessica Chastain, is fully invested. However, the story to this gothic horror is so unexpectedly weak. The film seems to be establishing a mystery, but by the end the only twist that’s taken place, is that the undertones have become overtones. This movie is quite a disappointing experience - and after Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland and Chan-wook Park’s Stoker, this is the third time I’ve noticed Wasikowska starring for a celebrated director of dark cinema making one of his worst films. Poor girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment